I keep hearing the liberals, socialist, progressives, and those desiring to BAN GUNS try to tell us that either the Constitution is outdated or that the 2nd Amendment should NEVER be applied to private citizens owing guns. They try to tell us that only the MILITIA, MILITARY, or POLICE can have guns. So I felt that it would be appropriate to actually find out what our Founding Fathers had to say on the matter of guns in the hands of America’s citizens.
Let me give you a few choice quotes from some of our notable founders:
- “A free people ought to be armed.” – – George Washington (I guess the leader of our victorious colonial army and our 1st President is to be discounted too.)
- [The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which American possess over the people of almost every other nation (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” – – James Madison. (Of course he could not possibly mean today, that had to be for back then and not now.)
- “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.” – – George Washington (But Mr. Washington surely you didn’t mean people of future generations.)
- “The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.” – – Alexander Hamilton (Mr. Hamilton did you really mean citizens and not just a militia or military unit?)
- ”And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants” – – Thomas Jefferson (Mr. Jefferson are you suggesting that the government needs to have cause to restrain itself knowing that the people can and might do something if they government gets out of control?)
- “No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – – Thomas Jefferson (Part of shall not be infringed right Mr. Jefferson?)
- “To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.” – – George Mason (Mr. Mason were you concerned that the government might actually do that?)
- “Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.” – – Noah Webster (Mr. Webster it sure sounds like you believe that the 2nd Amendment gives citizens the right to have firearms.)
Let’s not stop with these men why don’t we consider the words of a President or two:
- “By calling attention to ‘a well-regulated militia,’ ‘the security of the nation,’ and the right of each citizen ‘to keep and bear arms,’ our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy… The Second Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important.” – – President John F. Kennedy
- ”The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world… The first step – in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible and to be fit for war if it should come – is to teach men to shoot!” – – President Theodore Roosevelt
Now let’s consider some others including a liberal Democrat:
- ”Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. … the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, and one more safeguard against a tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible.” – – Senator Hubert Humphrey
- ”The tank, the B-52, the fighter-bomber, the state-controlled police and military are the weapons of dictatorship. The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws.” – – Edward Abbey
- ”The danger (where there is any) from armed citizens, is only to the ‘government’, not to ’society’; and as long as they have nothing to revenge in the government (which they cannot have while it is in their own hands) there are many advantages in their being accustomed to the use of arms, and no possible disadvantage.” – – Joel Barlow
- ”If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying — that they must sweep under the rug the southern attempts at gun control in the 1870-1910 period, the northeastern attempts in the 1920-1939 period, the attempts at both Federal and State levels in 1965-1976 — establishes the repeated, complete and inevitable failure of gun laws to control serious crime.” – – Senator Orrin Hatch
- ”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.” – – Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
Notice to all liberals, progressives, socialists, and gun control advocates your arguments are ludicrous and doomed to result in failure and if you somehow are successful in disarming the law-abiding citizens of this great nation you will empower the criminal element in a way that will make our nation one of the most dangerous places on the planet. If you are among the elite that can afford or are afforded the privilege of hiring an army of armed guards to protect you then you may be safe but the rest of the citizenry will be in grave jeopardy and it will be your fault.
I do not intend to be a victim due to an Unconstitutional mandate by a rogue tyrannical regime. I will stand on my God-given and Constitutional Rights so long as I draw breath. I suggest that you re-read real history rather than the revisionist history that you want taught in our schools and touted from your bully pulpits through the government controlled media. WE THE PEOPLE may put up more resistance than you anticipate. One can only hope that the American people desire their liberty more than your token handouts.
May God bless you and may God watch over this nation!