I could easily ask, “What would Jesus do?” and that would be appropriate but from a strictly constitutional perspective I ask – “What Would Jefferson Do?” Just a few days ago some Top Secret information was released to the press that shows that the NSA’s data mining was far more extensive than first thought and that the court giving oversight has been rubber stamping whatever Eric Holder wanted. It revealed that the operatives in the NSA, not the court, the supervisors, or even the Attorney General could, on their own, make the decision to “snoop”, gather information and use it. That is pretty lax and creates so much room for incredible abuse that it is, to say the least, ALARMING!
The Patriot Act was written with a built in design to attempt to balance “civil liberties” and “privacy” with the need to do surveillance on an active terrorist or suspected terrorist. It is quite clear that has been tossed aside and the NSA, FBI, CIA, and who knows what other agency has trampled on our liberties and privacy in the name of security. The Constitution that our founders gave us along with the Bill of Rights does not give this kind of authorization to Congress or any federal agency but they ignore the founder’s intent and the clear wording of our constitution and do what they desire. Is it all in the interest of keeping America and American’s safe? HARDLY! As we have seen with the EPA, the IRS, and now the NSA this material is used for political purposes against individuals, businesses, and organizations that are in opposition to the current administration’s policy and agenda. IS THAT ACCEPTABLE? Not to me but then I’m not a “low information” voter and exercise the ability and right to think for myself.
As I look at some of the statements made by Thomas Jefferson regarding LIBERTY I have to believe that he would be leading the opposition to what is happening today. Let me give you a few select quotes from Mr. Jefferson:
- July 1774 – – “The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.”
- Jun 1775 – – “Our attachment to no nation upon earth should supplant our attachment to liberty.”
- July 4, 1776 – – “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.”
- December 23, 1791 – – “I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience of attending to too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.”
- October 20, 1820 – – “The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave.”
- “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
- “The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
- “I am not a friend to energetic government. It is always oppressive.”
- “What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance.”
So when I ask – “What Would Jefferson Do?” The answer should be clear from the above quotes and multitudes more that can from his mouth and pen. Thomas Jefferson and the other founders said the incredible danger of an ALL POWERFUL, OVER-REACHING Federal Government and continually warned us of it. They put checks and balances in place that have been overlooked, disregarded, and despised by the Political Ruling Class. It is time that WE THE PEOPLE flex our muscle and SEND THEM HOME at the next election. We need fresh blood in Washington to even have a hope that we can restore the Republic.
May God watch over, guard, and guide you and may God bless America again!