I saw a recent poll, dated January 23, 2019, that suggested that American’s preferred Universal Healthcare 52-42 percent. How can that be? Have we reached a point in our society where personal greed and/or the desire for FREE STUFF tipped the needle in favor of Socialism in America? Is that where we are? Have we reached the point in America where people just take an idea that sounds good on paper and run with it without counting the costs and thinking things through? Have we come reached the point where we are so interested in instant gratification that we are willing to plunge headlong into the abyss without evaluating the catastrophic result of that position? Have we?
That poll was done by the Kaiser Family Health Foundation and I will guarantee they are not an unbiased and objective observer simply seeking factual information. They have a vested interest in the world of medicine and unless they see a way to build their bottom line they are not interested. On paper, Socialism usually has some redeeming qualities but in practice, it fails miserably. If one evaluates the basic philosophy of Socialism or Socialized anything that the government runs they find it is so flawed that even the most elementary use of logic decries its implementation.
The argument that ‘healthcare is a fundamental right’ is a flawed argument. Everyone has the right to seek whatever care they can get and/or afford but it is not a basic right that the government must provide. I want no person, regardless of who they are, to suffer untreated or ill health. However, just like everything else in life, there are things I cannot afford, so I do not have access to them. How far do we go in the idea of Healthcare being a Basic Right? Do we include cosmetic surgery? After all, a person’s self-esteem may be logically tied to their appearance so to deny them coverage for a nose job, face lift, breast augmentation, tummy tuck, etc. would be detrimental to their mental and emotional state, right? Therefore, it would be logical to say, Everything is Covered for Everyone! At what cost?
I hate to be the one to burst the bubble of the “Free Stuff Crowd” but nothing is FREE! How many countries of the world and despotic regimes must rise and fall before people understand the simple truth that Socialism always fails, and costs more than any society can afford. When people realize that Socialism doesn’t just cost someone else but costs them too, they revolt, at least when they can. However, if we allow the decline to reach a certain point it is irreversible and irrevocable, and the government becomes so powerful and tyrannical we are trapped under their boot heels. I keep beating this drum of warning and hope to awaken some. We need everyone to become involved in this effort of information and sounding the alarm.
Let me walk you through some of the poll questions and you decide how far down the tubes we might be.
- Would you favor or oppose a national Medicare-for-all plan if you heard that it would guarantee health insurance as a right for all Americans? That sounds so benevolent and righteous, I almost shouted, “Sign me up!” But, then I am one who counts the cost, so I tapped the brakes and asked a few questions in my mind. However, the poll reflected that 71% said Favor and 27% Oppose.
- Would you favor or oppose a national Medicare-for-all plan if it eliminated all health insurance premiums and reduced all out-of-pocket costs? Hey, where do I sign up, right? Again, the poll reflected that 67% Favored and 30% Opposed. How can it not be 100% on that basis? Wait, I know, the 30 percenters probably asked the same questions I’ve been asking about costs.
- Since a Medicare-for-all plan would eliminate all private insurance would you favor or oppose it? Again, for whatever root reason, 58% said Favor and 37% Oppose. Maybe it is because many people believe that to get Private Insurance you must actually have a job and work.
- Since the Medicare-for-all plan will cost you a bundle more in taxes, do you still favor or oppose it? I can only surmise that the reason for the huge percentile favoring this must mean that most of them do not pay taxes now and would pay none under this plan. There were 60% in Favor and 37% Opposed.
- Changing to this System or Plan would likely do great damage if not total destruction to the Medicare now being used by Seniors do you Favor or Oppose this move? I guess it means, “Who Cares?” because 60% Favored and only 26% Opposed.
I cannot fathom how anyone who actually works and pays taxes would favor such a costly but apparently, a significant percentage of Americans do. I cannot believe that people, who actually think and investigate would not realize that “Everything” and I do mean “Everything” comes at a price and requires a trade-off somewhere or in something. You must give up something to get something. Maybe they can make real ice cream, loaded with real sugar that has zero calories and we can eat as much as we want with no negative effects. That makes about as much sense as the Medicare-For-All Plan of the Democrats. Wake Up America!
Universal Healthcare is not excluded from a Life Truth that everything comes down to basic personal choices, cost-benefit evaluations, trade-offs. With the millions of illegals in this country who will be included the cost burden on taxpaying Americans is greatly increased. When you couple that with the millions who could work but won’t because our system allows them to be free-loaders the cost is astronomical. The few of us who pay taxes will carry the burden for those everyone. The Democrats are not telling the truth about the cost or how it will be paid for unless they slip and spill the beans. One prominent Democrat let the cat out of the bag saying, “The billions in premiums now being paid will offset the cost.”
Who pays for Universal Healthcare and Medicare-For-All? We do! That is, those of us who pay taxes. Those who know how to game the system will get wealthy in the process. Who pays? The Middle Class not the super wealthy because the politicians and the wealthy know how to and can afford the loopholes. The Middle Class, not the slackers who could work but won’t because the Welfare and Entitlement System allows them to enjoy their lifestyles without contributing. Does that still sound like something you long for? I have not touched on the delayed, diminished, and denied care that is part and parcel of this type of system. I have not touched on the requirement to know someone or have connections to get a proper appointment with the physician you desire and need to see.
Once again, I ask, “Have we lost our collective minds?” Keep voting for the Leftist Socialist Democrats and RINO Republicans and we will witness the fruit of our misguided actions and continue to pay the penalty for our foolishness. It is my position and view that we need Conservative, Constitutionalist in Washington at every level and in every office. We also need them on the Supreme Court and the lower courts. We need them in every department and agency of the government. We need to see a restoration of Logic, Reason, Critical Thinking, and Common Sense as well as a return to our moral moorings and founding principles.
God bless you and God bless America!